I am not very good when it comes to trying new recipes. I usually stick to the same ones that work. I make the same recipes mostly because, not only because I know them, but also because they have few ingredients. But recently I had a burst of excitement when I saw this new recipe. It had more ingredients than I would have liked. But it looked so good so I decided to try it out. It turned out much better than I expected. It was delicious! Making it was definitely the highlight of my week. I even got to share it with my in-laws, my friend, my sister, and my boyfriend. They all approved. Here is the recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole eggs, and 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup buttermilk milk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350f / 175c.
- Grease the pan so the cake doesn’t stick. Also, add a tiny sprinkle of flour to the pan.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy.
- Add the sugar and oil. Beat until smooth.
- Stir the buttermilk into the egg, sugar, oil mixture.
- Mix the bowl of flour, baking powder, salt mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Add the baking soda to the sour cream. Mix into the batter.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, lemon extract, and poppy seeds. Mix until smooth. Don’t overmix.
- Pour into pan and bake for 40 to 60 minutes depending on the size of your baking pan. You know it’s done when the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool.
- Meanwhile, mix all the glaze ingredients. Pour over the cake once done. Add lemon slices as a garnish if you want.
Dig in and enjoy!
This cake stayed moist for at least 24 hours, if not more. If you want to leave it for the next day, be sure to cover it or put it in a Tupperware container.
Be sure to follow me on my Instagram and my Facebook where I post all about Dutch living and more.
What was the last new recipe you tried out?
1 people reacted on this
I congratulate, you were visited with simply excellent idea